John and Elizabeth Short
In 1849, John Hayde joined the Royal Irish Constabulary. In the enlistment papers he was recorded as being born in 1830 in Tipperary South, he was a carpenter by trade and was 5 foot 8 1/8th inches tall.
He served for 30 years and was pensioned in 1879.
He raised his family in Naas, Kildare and descendants ran various shops in Naas in the late 1800s and 1900s. The shops are famous in Naas. One current shop looks like:
I think he was the son of John and Ellen Bergan baptised in the Fethard parish on 23 December 1826. There are no other relevant records.
John and Elizabeth had:
- Patrick J Hayde b 1862, Baltinglass. Mar Catherine Shea 1869, Dublin
- Mary Hayde b 1866, Naas
- Julie Anne Hayde b 1868, Naas
- Edward Joseph Hayde b 1870, Naas. Mar Margaret Dermody 1896, Bray. Edward joined RIC then became a storekeeper.
- John Michael Hayde b 1898, Wexford. John was a seaman and travelled extensively between the UK and America in the 1920s and 1930s. Mar Mary O’Brien 1926 in England. Descendants are in England
- Edward Joseph Hayde b 1902. D 1916 Dublin
- Matthew Thomas Hayde b 1906, Brentford, Essex, England. Emigrated to America in 1927. Mar Ellen McFarlane 1929 in Philidephia. He was a mechanic is 1930
- Patrick Peter Hayde b 1911, Dublin. Mar Mary Byrne in 1937. Descendants are in Dublin
- Michael Hayde b 1914, Dublin. Mar Catherine Kavanagh. Descendants are in Dublin
- Bridget Hayde b 1871. D 1880
- Kate Hayde b 1971. D 1873
- Elizabeth M Hayde b 1872, Naas
- John Francis Hayde b 1873, Naas. Mar Rebecca Baker 1896, Naas
- Christopher Hayde b 1896
- Mary Hayde b 1898
- Rebecca Hayde b 1900, Naas
- John Joseph Hayde b 1902, Naas. Mar Katherine Curran. Descendants are in Naas, Dublin and England
- Elizabeth M Hayde b 1906, Naas
- David Hayde b 1911. Mar Sheila Phillips 1945. Descendants are in Dublin
- Ester Agnes Hayde b 1876
The DNA of a descendant does not match that of any other families so more testing is required to confirm linkages.
John and his family are shown in the following tree https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/51862942/family