David Hayde

Nov 302017
 

Tree # 8

As described in the Irish Research page, the tax records of 1666/7 Hearth showed a James Head at Rathdangin and by 1766, an Edm Head was in the village of Killusty in the parish of Kiltinan, Fethard. He is probably a descendant of the family in Rathdrangin in 1666.

Killusty is in the Fethard parish and is to the South East of Fethard as shown in the parish map above and the map below:

This family posts section focuses on the families in the parishes of Fethard and Killusty. It includes Boolagh and Cappadrummin. These two parishes are underlined in blue in the first map. The map at the top of the page includes places highlighted in yellow that are discussed in the Drangan page.

In the Tithe records of the 1828 there was:

  • Michael Heade at Cappadroma (by Kiltinan). This townland is also known as Cappadrummin. He farmed 3 acres owned by James Hacket.

By the time of the Griffiths in 1850, there was:

  • Michael Hade in Cashel St, Fethard.

In the early 1800s, when the Catholic parish records began, the following families were in the Fethard and Killusty parish area:

  • Patrick and Judith Daniel at Boolagh and Cappadrummin. Michael is clearly the son of the Patrick who was in the 1828 Tithe records. They should also have been in the Griffiths there is no sign of them although the valuation records show they were at Kiltinan until at least the 1860s.
  • Michael and Anne Sweeney at Cashel Street in Fethard. Which is clearly the Michael in the Griffiths record.
  • John and Ellen Began (place unknown). There is no sign of this family in the Tithe, Griffiths or subsequent valuation records.

Patrick b 1816 and Judith Daniel

Patrick mar as Hayde in 1840. He died Kiltinan in 1886 aged 70 (b 1816). They had:

  • Lawrence Hayde b 1840 Boolagh
  • Mary Hayde b 1842 Cappadrummin
  • Michael Hade b 1844
  • John Hade b 1847
  • Ellen Hade b 1849. Mar St John 1879
  • Timothy Hade b 1854
  • Bridget Hade b 1856
  • John Hayde b 1858
  • Catherine Hayde b 1858
  • Mary Haid b 1860

Patrick is most likely a descendant of the families who were in Killusty in 1766. Apart from the marriage of Ellen in 1879, and the death of Patrick in 1886, there is no further references to this family in the civil or parish records.

Michael and Anne Sweeney

They were at Cashel Road in Fethard in 1850 and in the parish records were the baptisms of:

  • Judith Hayde b 1835 d 1870
  • Mary Hade b 1837
  • William Hade b 1839
  • Patrick Hayde b 1841
  • Lawrence Hayde b 1843
  • Alice Hade b 1846

Michael was clearly the Michael Hade in the 1850 Griffiths. In the valuation records he was in Cashel Street until the 1860s and the Green.  A Thomas Hayde took over the property in the 1860s. In the 1890s, a daughter Judith was a neighbour.

He is presumably descended from families who were in Killusty who moved to the town.

John and Ellen Bergan.

They married as Heade in 1826 and had:

  • John Hayde b 1826. John probably joined the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and settled in Naas, Kildare. Descendants are mainly in Dublin although some emigrated to America. This tree is covered further in the Naas page.

Without knowing where he lived it is hard to know from where he was descended.  I have assumed he is descended from the Killusty families.

Detailed research notes can be found at Drangan, Fethard and Clonmel area – Trees #8, 11 and 19

This family tree can be reviewed at:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/51862942/family

The DNA of a descendant does not match that of any other families so more testing is required to confirm linkages.

Feb 282025
 

John Hayde and Elizabeth Short

In 1849, John Hayde joined the Royal Irish Constabulary.  In the enlistment papers he was recorded as being born in 1830 in Tipperary South, he was a carpenter by trade and was 5 foot 8 1/8th inches tall. I have assumed that he was the son of John and Ellen Bergan b 1826 as there is no other baptism that could be relevant. The origins of John and Ellen are explained more in the Fethard page.

He served for 30 years and was pensioned in 1879.

He raised his family in Naas, Kildare and descendants ran various shops in Naas in the late 1800s and 1900s. The shops are famous in Naas. One current shop looks like:

John and Elizabeth had:

  • Patrick J Hayde b 1862, Baltinglass. Mar Catherine Shea 1869, Dublin
  • Mary Eleanor Hayde b 1866, Naas. Mar Timothy Berner 1892
  • Julie Anne Hayde b 1868, Naas
  • Edward Joseph Hayde b 1870, Naas. Mar Margaret Dermody 1896, Bray. Edward joined RIC then became a storekeeper.
    • John Michael Hayde b 1898, Wexford. John was a seaman and travelled extensively between the UK and America in the 1920s and 1930s. Mar Mary O’Brien 1926 in England. Descendants are in England
    • Edward Joseph Hayde b 1902. D 1916 Dublin
    • Matthew Thomas Hayde b 1906, Brentford, Essex, England. Emigrated to America in 1927. Mar Ellen McFarlane 1929 in Philidephia. He was a mechanic is 1930
    • Patrick Peter Hayde b 1911, Dublin. Mar Mary Byrne in 1937. Descendants are in Dublin
    • Michael Hayde b 1914, Dublin. Mar Catherine Kavanagh. Descendants are in Dublin
  • Bridget Hayde b 1871. D 1880
  • Kate Hayde b 1971. D 1873
  • Elizabeth M Hayde b 1872, Naas
  • John Francis Hayde b 1873, Naas. Mar Rebecca Baker 1896, Naas
    • Mary Hayde b 1897
    • Christopher Hayde b 1898
    • Rebecca Hayde b 1900, Naas
    • John Joseph Hayde b 1902, Naas. Mar Katherine Curran. Descendants are in Naas, Dublin and England
    • Elizabeth M Hayde b 1906, Naas
    • David Hayde b 1911. Mar Sheila Phillips 1945. Descendants are in Dublin
  • Ester Agnes Hayde b 1876

The DNA of a descendant does not match that of Tree # 1 or any other families so more testing is required to confirm linkages.

John and his family are shown in the following tree https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/51862942/family

Nov 192017
 

Patrick b 1832 and Johanna Lyons

According to descendants, Patrick Hayde was born circa 1830 in Co Tipperary and emigrated to America in the early 1850s.

The most likely baptism record is that of a Patrick Hayde in the parish of Fethard, Tipperary in 1832. He was the son of James and Mary Fitzgerald. They lived in the village of Cloran, to the south east of Fethard. This family is explained in more detail in the Drangan posts page.

By 1860 Patrick had married Johanna Lyons, they had started a family and were living in Salisbury, Connecticut.

The map below shows the city of Salisbury in the county of Litchfield in Connecticut State.

Patrick (b 1832) and Johanna (nee Lyons b 1835) were in the Salisbury, Connecticut 1860 census (as Haide) with their 4 children – John (b 1854), Lawrence (b 1855), Ellen (b 1856) and Mary (b 1856).  The children were all born in Conn. Patrick died in 1885 and Johanna in 1904.  The 1900 census recorded her as having arrived 1850. There are two arrival records in the name of Johanna Lyons around this time. These are:

  • At New York on 23 July1850 aged 20 (b 1830) on the Universe.
  • At Boston on 16 Jan 1850 aged 18 (b 1832)

Possible arrival dates in America for Patrick include:

  • As Patrick Head aged 23.  Arrived 1 July 1851 on Robert Kelly from Liverpool
  • Patt Head aged 30. Arrived 26 May 1851 on Harmony from Liverpool.  Place of origin stated as Tipperary.

The gravestones for Patrick stated that he was born Tipperary however the death certificate of his son Lawrence says Limerick.

John (b 1854) and Mary Rigler

John married Mary Rigler and they had 5 children John Francis (b 1883), Mary A (b 1886), Frank Joseph (b 1887), Johanna J (b 1889) and (Elizabeth M (b 1890).

Frank Joseph had a large family and descendants are in Connecticut and Canada. His descendants are:

  • Mary Agnes b 1914
  • Charles Joseph b 1916
    • Charles Joseph Jnr b 1938
    • Mary Lee
    • Roger W (in Ontario in 2007)
  • Francis Elizabeth b 1918
  • Katherine V b 1921
  • Gloria J b 1923
  • Helen R b 1925. Mar William Silva

Lawrence (b 1855)

Lawrence was single in 1920 and died in 1930.

Ellen (b 1856)

There is no record of Ellen surviving to adulthood.

Mary (b 1856) and Richard Deneen

Mary married Richard Deneen and had a large family.  This family has been well researched and documented.

Patrick died in 1885 and by 1900 Johanna was still living in Salisbury with the rest of the family (as Hayde).

Descendants are in Litchfield Connecticut.

I have shared information with descendants of Mary and Richard Deneen but have not traced any descendants of John.  Any further information would be welcome.

The family tree can be found at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/51523823/family

Feb 242025
 

Tree # 26

John Hayde was farming 10 acres in Graigue in 1850. He was also mentioned as being a tenant in a house on this plot.

Graigue is a townland in Gambonsfield and Kilcash Catholic parish as can be seen below:

A wider view of this area shows that Graigue is not far from Killusty in Fethard parish and Cloran in Drangan parish. I suspect that John is descended from either the Killusty or Cloran families that are outlined in the Fethard page and Drangan page.

John farmed at 7 (circled in blue) and 7a, with 7a being a small house.

The Catholic parish records only started in 1840 and show a John Hade b 1842 to a John and Margaret Burns. A Michael Heade mar Margaret Barnable in the same parish in 1857. Michael and Margaret emigrated to America in 1857 and settled in Hatfield, Hampshire, Massachusetts. Their family is outlined more below.

The Clonmel civil records have the death of John Heade in 1877, a widow, aged 84 (b 1793). This is probably the John who married Margaret Burns. He was also in the Petty Sessions records of 1869 and 1872 accused of having an unlicensed dog and in 1875 of having a wandering ass.

There is no record of them in the Tithe records so that means John must have moved there in the late 1830s. Margaret Burns presumably came from this area and they settled in her parish. The valuation records include:

  • At Craigue Lower, widow Catherine Hade in 1849. This is possibly the mother of the John who was there in 1850. More work needs to be done on these early valuation records.

There was no sign of anyone in this area in the 1901 and 1911 census records.

The death record of Michael Hade in America in 1898, aged 64 (b 1834) confirms his parents as John and Margaret Burns. The death records of Margaret Barnable confirmed her place of birth as Kilcash, an adjoining parish.

Michael and Margaret arrived in America in 1857. They had the following children:

  • Mary Anne b 1860 d 1860
  • Margaret b 1861. Mar Thomas Nolan
  • Nancy Anna b 1862 d 1882
  • John b 1864 d 1866
  • Teresa b 1866 d 1884
  • Kate b 1867 d bef 1870
  • Mary b 1868. Mar Frank Sweetland
  • Stillborn child b 1871 d 1871
  • Alexander b 1872 d 1890
  • Catherine Barnable b 1875. Mar Ernest Laduke
  • Michael Thomas b 1878 d 1888

They were Hade in 1865, 1870, 1880 and 1900 but Margaret (the senior) was Hayde in 1910. Michael died in 1898. In 1900 Margaret was a widow with 3 of her 11 children surviving. The survivors being the three daughters that married.

I have not found their arrival records or Naturalisation. Michael was recorded in the civil war draft registration records in 1863.

There is a Barnable family tree that traces the wider family.

I have not found a living descendant.

Mar 162025
 

Below is an extract of notes regarding these Catholic parishes and how their borders changed over time. It shows how difficult it can be to find and identify families in the various records when borders change so much.

Information for researching Baptisms and Marriages in Drangan, Cloneen and Killusty

  • All records before July 1826 deal with the Catholic Parish of Cloneen and Killusty.
  • Records from July 1826 onwards deal with the Catholic Parish of Drangan and Cloneen
  • Mullinahone and Drangan were joined before 1826, therefore, Drangan Baptism and Marriage Records before 1826 are in the Mullinahone Record Books.
  • In July1826, Drangan was joined with Cloneen. Killusty joined with Fethard. Drangan got part of Killusty Catholic Parish (in Civil Parish of Peppardstown) got all Curraheen townland plus half of Rathkenny townland and a small part of Knockelly townland.
  • Killusty Baptism and Marriage Records up to July 1826 are with Cloneen Records. No townlands were given in early book records.
  • In 1826, Drangan Catholic Parish received all Upper Crohane plus half Lower Crohane townlands plus part of Shangarry townland (now often called Wilford), plus nearly all Lismolin townland. All above are at the south side of the road from Lismolin Cross going west to the Two Trees, next to Barrett’s Cross then going south to Crohane Church and then to a small bridge at west or Killenaule side of Glasheen’s Cross. That road is the dividing line between Drangan and Ballingarry Catholic Parishes.
  • Before July 1826, the Baptism and Marriage Records for the above townlands and part townlands should be in the Ballingarry Record Books. There are names from Crohane, Graiguenageha and Moyne in the Killenaule Record Book.
  • On 10th November 1840, Drangan Catholic Parish received from Moyglass Catholic Parish, part of the Civil Parish of St. Johnstown, namely: all Lismoynan townland, plus part of St. Johnstown townland now known as Bawntafoora, plus a small part of Kilkennybeg townland. Therefore, Baptism and Marriage Records before 10th November 1840 of the above townlands should be in the Killenaule and Moyglass Record Books.

Killusty

  • To avoid expulsion under Penal Laws, local priests had to register in Nenagh as Parish Priests after an Act of Parliament 1703 which improved the situation for some priests. No other clergy were to be allowed, only the Parish Priest. Some priests went on horseback to Nenagh from this area to register. In 1704, Rev. Geoffrey Sall P.P. Clerihan and Killusty (1704-1713) was registered in Nenagh as P.P. of Coleman, Newchapel and Ballyclerihan (roughly modern Clerihan parish), and as P.P. of Kiltinan, Crompstown, Coolmundry, Peppardstown and Everardsgrange (roughly modern Killusty Parish) with parts of Fethard, Drangan and Cloneen. Killusty was in Kiltinan Parish but the church was in Killusty. This union of Clerihan and Killusty lasted until c.1773. Fr. Luke Shee was the last P.P. and was probably one of the Shee’s of Cloran, Cloneen.
    In 1773 Killusty was united with Cloneen until 3rd July 1826, since then it has been united with Fethard. There was a thatched church in Killusty in the 1700’s which was built chiefly at the expense of Mr Redmond Purcell. In Visitation 1847, it was mentioned that Killusty Church was built on Lord Lismore’s land. Killusty’s present church was opened in 1883. It was built by Fr. Thomas H. Kinane P.P. Fethard & Killusty.

Kiltinan Parish

  • Kiltinan Parish c.1200 is mentioned in the Register of Hospital of St. John the Baptist, Dublin, by E. St. J. Brooks. It states in The Preface that Philip de Worcester gave the church of Kiltinan to Oseney Abbey, Oxfordshire, England, c.1200.
  • An article written by Mark Hennessy states that a grant of 60 acres in the Manor of Kiltinan was made by David, son of Philip, to Hospital of St. John the Baptist, Dublin, c.1200. The Hospital of St. John the Baptist was a daughter house of Oseney Abbey.
    Kiltinan was also listed in Papal Taxation 1291 and 1302. The church in Kiltinan was in ruins in 1615.
  • Kiltinan Civil Parish Townslands: Ballynaclera, Boolagh, Cappadrummin, Clarebeg, Claremore, Grangebeg, Killavally, Killusty North, Killusty South, Kiltinan, Loughcapple, Moanbarron, Rathkenty, Tullow and Walshbog.

Oct 192022
 

A few Hayde families were in the areas north west of Ballinure and Ballingarry by 1800. They were not in the 1659 census or 1665/6/7 Hearth Money Records so they must have originated from Tipperary south and moved to this area in the 1700s.

These families can be summarised as:

  • Patrick and Michael Heade, born circa 1800, who were in Kilduff in the 1830s. They were not in this village at the time of the Tithe records in 1827 and appear to have moved there when they married in 1829 and 1832 respectively.
  • James Heyde who was in Galbertstown Lower in 1850.  Parish records show that he (as James Hayde) married Cath Cantwell in 1845 and the parish record stated that he was from Killenaule.
  • John Hayde and Margaret Shanahan who were probably in Killough (by Galbertstown Lower) in 1850.  He was from Leigh.
  • James and Mary Meagher/Maher who were in Ballinree at the time of the Tithes.  This is in Boherlahan parish however their first child was born in Leigh in Leigh.
  • Other families in Borris and Leigh that were in the parish but don’t feature in the Tithes of Griffiths.
  • Patrick, born circa 1790, and Judith Ryan who had a family in the Thurles area in the early 1800s.

These places can be seen in the Catholic parish map below. Kilduff is highlighted at the top of the map in Templemore, Thurles Township, Galbertstown Lower and Leigh (and Borris) are in the Thurles parish.

These families are grouped as Tree # 7 and are detailed at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/51257626/family

Kilduff (Templemore Parish)

In the 1830s, Patrick and Michael were in Kilduff, a town in the foothills of the Kilduff mountains north west of Templemore. There was no sign of this family in the Tithe records. In the Griffiths records was Mary Headon was in the Griffiths records of 1850. She was the wife of Michael as I have traced them via the valuation books, as Heade, at the same address. She was in the valuation records until around 1856.

Walkers Hibernian Magazine from the Tipperary Archives has a reference that refers to a Miss Hayde from Kilduff, Limerick, who married a John Smithwick in 1791. She was the daughter of Richard Hayde from Castleleak, Tipperary. (This is probably Castlelake, a townland west of Cashel). Killdiff is a parish in Limerick and is different to the townland in Templemore. I don’t believe this reference is related.

Patrick and Michael were possibly the children of Pierce (Peter) and Mary Shanahan from Borris who had a Patrick and John Heade in Moycarky in 1801 and 1807 respectively. Michael could be another brother.

James who witnessed the marriage of Patrick in 1829 could be another brother. 

Interestingly, there is a DNA match between a descendant of this family and that of the Ballinure, Tipperary families. The match is estimated as 5th to 8th cousins which, if assuming 25 years in a generation, makes the common ancestor between 1800 and 1900. Given that paper records show that it is not after 1820ish, then it must be very close to 1800.

Kilduff is shown on the map below:

Patrick B abt 1800 and Mary Mooney (b 1804)

Patrick and Mary married in Drom and Inch parish in 1829. Patrick was from Templemore. The marriage was witnessed by James Heade, presumably a brother. The children were baptised in the Templemore parish.

Patrick seems to have died some time between 1847 (when his last child was born) and 1861 when Mary (his wife) and the surviving children were in Tonge, Middleton, Lancashire, England.

They were at no 6a Kilduff in the valuation records up until around 1850.

Their children were:

  • Nicholas Heade b 1831, Kilduff. D before 1861
  • John Heade b 1833, Kilduff. D 1898 Oldham
  • Patrick Heade b 1835, Kilduff. Patrick went to Ayr in Scotland looking for work and met a Lavina Kelly who he married in 1866. This family is outlined in more detail in the Middleton posts page.
  • Anne/Hannah Heade b 1837, Kilduff
  • Mary Heade b 1839, Kilduff
  • Pierce/Peter Heade b 1842, Kilduff. Mar Mary Premo. Peter emigrated to America in 1868, married in 1874 and settled in Detroit, Michigan. Their children are variously named Hade and Hayde. This family is described further at the Detroit posts page.
  • Bridget Heade b 1844, Kilduff
  • Margaret Heade b 1847, Kilduff

The descendants of Patrick and Mary settled in Middleton, England. They are described further in the Oldham and Middleton Posts page. The descendants of Peter and Mary can be described further in the Detroit page.

Michael b abt 1810 and Mary Mahoney

Michael and Mary married in Templemore parish in 1832. They were from Kilduff. Pat Heade (probably the Pat above) was a witness.

Michael and Mary were at 7d Kilduff in the valuation records up to circa 1856. Michael’s name was changed to Mary’s which indicate that Michael died.

Descendants appear in Queensland by 1874. I have not found any trace of their emigration records.

Their children were:

  • Patrick Heade b 1833, Kilduff (presumably died before 1836)
  • Pierce Heade b 1834, Kilduff, D 1913 Australia
  • Patrick Heade b 1836, Kilduff. Mar Mary McMahon 1874, Queensland. D 1920
    • Michael James Hade b 1875, Queensland. Mar Sarah Mary Fanning 1902. D 1936
      • Mary Hade b 1902, Warwick, Queensland
      • William Patrick Hade b 1904, Warwick, Queensland. Mar Gertrude Lilian Newman. D 1971
      • Mary Ellen Hade, b 1907, Warwick, Queensland
      • Sarah Agnes Hade b 1909, Warwick, Queensland
      • Michael John Hade b 1911, Warwick, Queensland. Mar Dorothy Agnes Rose. D 1973
      • Kevin James Hade b 1913, Warwick, Queensland. Mar Kathleen May Roche. D 1988
        • Vincent Kevin Hade b 1940 d 2006
    • Mary Anne Hade b 1877, Queensland. Mar Patrick John Ryan 1898. D 1916
    • Susan Agnes Head b 1879, Queensland. Mar Thomas John Ryan 1902. D 1960
  • Ann Heade b 1838, Kilduff
  • Mary Heade b 1839, Kilduff
  • Bridget Heade b 1843, Templemore
  • Michael Heade b 1845, Templemore
  • Sarah Head b 1849, Kilduff. Mar Nicholas Leone 1877 and Charles Kolass 1905. D 1912

DNA testing of a descendant of Patrick’s has shown a link to Tree # 1 from Killenaule parish. 

Moycarky Parish

In Moycarky parish there were:

  • Pierce (Peter) and Mary Shanahan who had Patrick Heade and John Heade in 1801 and 1807 in Borris. They appeared to be the earliest families in the Moycarky parish.  They however did not feature in the tithes in the 1830s.  Patrick possibly moved to Killduff and married Mary Mooney.
  • John and Margaret Shanahan who had a family in Leigh in the 1810s.  They were possibly in Killough (by Galbertstown Lower) in 1829 and 1850.
  • James and Mary Meagher/Maher who were in the Tithe records at Ballinree in 1827 and had:
    • Tom Head in 1817, Leigh, Tipp Nth
    • William Hayde 1818, Ballinree
    • Nancy Heade 1821, Ballinree
    • Mary Head 1824, Ballinree
    • Jas or John Hayd 1833, Ballinree
  • James Heyde who was in Galbertstown Lower in 1850.  Parish records show that he (as James Hayde) married Cath Cantwell in 1845 and the parish record stated that he was from Killenaule.  James and Cath moved to Thurles (as Hayde) in the 1870s and were running a grocery shop in town in the 1880s.  James died 1898 and Cath 1908. Cath was possibly baptised Cashel parish in 1832.

The Holycross Old Graveyard contains the grave of Catherine Hayde died 1908. The gravestone was erected by Alderman Edward Cantwell, presumably her brother. 

These families may have originated in Ballingarry or Killenuale and then moved around.

The DNA link between the Kilduff family and those in Killenuale show the link to Killenaule.

Thurles Township

Patrick b abt 1880 and Judith Ryan

I have found the records of 3 children of Patrick and Judith Ryan from Thurles parish.  These are:

  • James Heade b 1808
  • John Hade b 1811. John married Mary Ann Campbell in Leamington, Warwickshire in 1837.  They had:
    • John George Hade b 1838, Leamington. Mar Caroline (Letitia) Holtom 1862.
      • George Hade b 1862, Leamington
      • Arthur George b 1865, Oxfordshire. D 1889
      • Mary Lydia Hade b 1867, Worcestershire
      • Elizabeth Hade b 1871, Worcestershire
    • James Hade b 1840, Leamington. Mar Sophia 1866
    • Thomas Hade b 1842, Leamington. Mar Isabella 1887
    • Mary Anne Hade b 1845, Leamington
    • Elizabeth Hade b 1850, Leamington
  • Patrick Heade/Hade b 1821. Patrick married Mary Roche in 1843 when he was living at Boolabeha, a village 5 miles to the north east of Thurles.  They had 2 children baptised in the Thurles parish and by 1851 they were on Alderney, in the Channel Islands.  One daughter, Mary Hade was in Warwickshire in 1881. This family is described further in the Channel Islands posts page.

The baptism of James in 1808 noted their address as New Street, which is probably in Littleton.

Patrick, the elder, was recorded as a clerk in 1808.  It is interesting to speculate what clerical work he was doing at the time and indeed how he managed to obtain the skills.

Thomas Hayde b 1818

A Thomas Hayde from Littleton (b circa 1818 – 1823), joined the Dublin Met Police in 1850 (aged 27) and could also have been another son of Pat and Judith Ryan. He died a bachelor in 1864 (aged 46).

Michael Hayde b 1829

A Michael Butler Hayde b 1829 joined the RIC and then the army (43rd then 30th Foot) in Dublin in 1850.  His army records stated he was born Moycarky parish, near Thurles. He served in the Crimean War in 1855 and retired as a colour sergeant to Dublin after 21 years service.

In the 1901 census he was aged 65 (born 1836!), a widower, in Clonmel with his sister Catherine Ryan (a widow) b 1846 and Catherine (b 1877) and Mary Roache (b 1899) (niece and grand niece). The 1901 census referenced his army regiment so we can be sure of this connection.

Catherine Ryan (b 1877) mar Michael Roach at St Mary’s, Clonmel in 1898. Her father was Michael Ryan, an artisan (dec). Mary Christine Roach was born Clonmel 17 Dec 1898 to Michael Roach (a soldier) and Catherine Roche nee Ryan. Catherine Ryan, grandmother, was present. Mary Roche mar John O’Connor in 1919, moved to England and then emigrated to Australia in 1955.

I have not found the baptisms of Michael (b 1829) or his sister Catherine (b 1846).

By 1911, Michael was aged 80 (b 1831) and was with nephew Michael Ryan (ie son of Catherine Ryan his sister) aged 29 (b England 1882) and g child Mary Bridget Ryan (b Clonmel 1902).

Michael was possibly in Balrothey, Dublin in 1873 where he had a daughter Ellen with his wife Eliz O’Connell. I have not found any record of the deaths of Ellen or Eliz O’Connell.

James Hayde b 1826

There is also a James Hayde who joined the RIC in 1849.  He was recorded as being born in Tipperary North in 1826.  He resigned in 1853 and emigrated to America. He travelled on Compromise from Liverpool which arrived in New York on 7 Sept 1853. I have however not found him in any American census or other records.

Co. Tipperary, Ireland

The detailed research notes can be seen at Tipperary North Families

Detailed research notes regarding Limerick can be found at Limerick Families

 

 

 

    •  

 

  • .
Dec 282017
 

Patrick b 1821 and Mary Roche

As outlined in the North Tipperary posts page, I have found the records of 3 children of Patrick and Judith Ryan from Thurles parish.

One of these was a Patrick b 1821. Patrick married Mary Roche in 1843 when he was living at Boolabeha, a village 5 miles to the north east of Thurles.  Their children were:

  • James Heade b 1845, Thurles D before 1871
  • Mary Heade b 1848, Thurles
  • Margaret Heade b 1855, Alderney. In St Peter’s Port, Guernsey in 1901. No sign in 1911
  • Ellen Heade b 1861, Alderney
  • Matthew Heade b 1856, Alderney
  • John Heade b 1860, Alderney

Patrick was a mason. In Alderney in 1847, work began on building a long breakwater in Braye Bay. I suspect Patrick was attracted there to work as a mason on building this breakwater and other projects.

They were in the 1851 Alderney census as Heade, 1871 as Head, then in the Guernsey census of 1881, 1891 and (Margaret) 1901 as Hade.

Mary died in 1891 and Patrick in 1898. There is no sign of descendants of John. Mary Hade was in Warwickshire in 1881.

Matthew arrived NSW 7 Nov 1881. He was a seaman and discharged from the ‘Sharpshooter’. He also arrived in NSW on 7 Nov 1881.

A photo of the gravestone of Patrick and Mary Roche in Le Foulon, Cemetery, St Peters Port, Guernsey is:

This gravestone can be found at grave no 62, section Y.

I have found no living descendants.

Oct 132022
 

Patrick Heade b abt 1800 and Mary Mooney

Patrick and Mary mar in 1829. Patrick was from Templemore. The marriage was witnessed by James Heade. The children were baptised in the Templemore parish. Their Irish origins are outlined in the Tipperary North page.

Patrick seems to have died sometime between 1847 (when his last child was born) and 1861 when Mary (his wife) and the surviving children were in Tonge, Middleton, Lancashire, England. This is close to where Patrick and Ellen Doran (see Oldham page) were at the same time and they probably influenced this choice.

Their children were:

  • Nicholas Heade b 1831, Kilduff. D before 1861
  • John Heade b 1833, Kilduff. D 1898 Oldham
  • Patrick Heade b 1835, Kilduff. Patrick went to Ayr in Scotland looking for work and met a Lavina Kelly who he married in 1866.
    • John Hayde b 1867, Middleton. Mar Margaret Loughlan 1898, Middleton
      • Norah Hayde b 1898, Middleton
      • Wilfred Hayde b 1900, Middleton
      • Edward Hayde b 1903, Oldham. Married but had no children
      • John Hayde b 1905, Oldham. D 1905
      • Margaret Hayde b 1906, Oldham
      • Bernard Hayde b 1908, Oldham. D 1908
      • Mary Hayde b 1911, Oldham
      • Cathleen Hayde b 1913, Oldham
    • James Hayde b 1870, Middleton. Mar Agnes Leah 1895
      • Eveline Hayde b 1896
    • Peter Hayde b 1872, Middleton. D 1873
    • Hannah Hayde b 1875, Middleton. D 1879
    • Nicholas Hayde b 1876, Middleton. Mar Janet Thomas 1921
    • Mary Elizabeth Hayde b 1882, Oldham. D 1905
    • Veronica Hayde b 1883, Oldham. D 1884
  • Anne/Hannah Heade b 1837, Kilduff. D before 1861
  • Mary Heade b 1839, Kilduff
  • Pierce/Peter Heade b 1842, Kilduff. He emigrated to America in 1868, married Mary Premo in 1874 and they settled in Detroit, Michigan. Their children are variously named Hade and Hayde. This is described further at the Detroit posts page.
  • Bridget Heade b 1844, Kilduff. D before 1861
  • Margaret Heade b 1847, Kilduff. D before 1861

They lived in Couper Row, Tonge, Middleton in the 1860 and 1870s. Patrick and Lavina settled in Dickens St, Middleton in the 1880s.

Middleton can be seen on the map below.

Middleton, Manchester M24 2EW, UK

Bolton BL2 6AJ, UK

Nov 132017
 

Peter and Mary Premo

The origins of this family are explained in the Tipperary North and Oldham posts pages.

Peter (b 1843) arrived in NY on SS Pennsylvania on 13 April 1868. Also on the same ship was a John Hade. I am not sure of the connection between Peter and John.

Peter enlisted in the army in NY in 1869 and served a 5 year term to 1874. He married Mary Premo in Michigan in 1874 and by 1880 they had 3 children.

By 1900 they had 10 children with 9 surviving. Their children are:

  • Adele Josephine Hade b 1876. Mar Charles Green
  • Mary Agnes Hade b 1877
  • Peter Hade b 1879. D 1904
  • Charles Henry Hade b 1882. Mar Anna
  • John Nicholas Hayde b 1884. Mar Alice Balsey. John Hade, enlisted in the army in 1907 and was discharged in 1908.
    • Madeline E Hayde b 1906
    • Alice Mary Agnes Hade b 1910
  • Alice Mabel Hade b 1887
  • Arthur Earl Leo Hade b 1890
  • George Francis Lawrence Hade b 1896. Mar Emily Craig
  • Cecliia Eleanor Hayde b 1898. Mar William Spitter

They were recorded as Hade in the arrival records and the early census records. By the 1920s however they were using the name Hayde. Descendants are in Detroit.

Oct 192022
 

There was no sign of Hayde (or anything similar) in this area in the 1659 census or the 1664 Hearth Money Records.

The original Hearth records were destroyed in the Four Courts fire of 1922.  Transcripts from the Kilkenny area are in the St Kieran’s College, Kilkenny and have been reproduced in the Irish Geneologist in 1974 and 1975. These records show various Hayden, Headon, Headon families but not anything like Heade, Hayde, Haide. These entries were also in different locations to where the Heade etc families appeared in the 1800s so I believe are not related.

The Tithe records are therefore the earliest available records. These records showed families in two areas:

Lisdowney Parish (1830)

  • Nicholas Head on 0a 2r 16p at Seskin (Aharney). I have not been able to locate Nicholas in the parish records
  • Martin Head on 1 acre at Lisdowney, Aharney. I have also not been able to locate Martin in the parish records.

Urlingford Parish (1820)

  • James Head on 1a 2r 16p at Tubbrid. Mar Catherine Drisdale
  • Edmond Head at Carranconnell. Mar Ellen Lahy (Edmond was probably a son of James)

James and Edmond were both Tithe defaulters.

The Griffiths records of 1849 showed:

Lisdowney Parish

  • Thomas Hayde on 0a 0r 16p at Frankfort or Ballykieran. Mar Mary Bergan
  • Mary Head on a very small plot at Lisdowney.

Urlingford Parish

  • Thomas Head at Tubbrid Lower. Mar Mary Dowling. Son of James. They were on 3a 1r 19p owned by Arthur St George Esq, who was descended from Lt Arthur St George an officer in the Cromwellian army.
  • Edmund Head at Craddockstown. Mar Ellen Lahy. They were on 2a 0r 21p owned by John Leahy.
  • John Hade at Urlingford. Mar Margaret Kean. They were on 1a 2r 16p of land owned by Viscount Mountgarrett. He owned 20,000 acres in 1640 and was the second largest landowner, behind the Earl of Ormond, at the time.

Thomas, Edmund and John were probably all brothers and were the sons of James who was at Tubbrid in 1820.

Lisdowney – Frankfort/Ballykieran and Foyle

The families in this area were:

Edmund Head (b circa 1750) and Judith

  • Philip and Catherine Magher. Mar 1778, from Skinbutler, Aharney

    • Mary Heade b 1814, Aharney.
    • John b circa 1800. Mar Mary D 1875 Urlingford.
      • Philip (b circa 1820), from Ballygowney, mar Catherine Butler 1843
        • Thomas Head b 1843, Ballygowney. Mar Ellen Lanigan.
          • Thomas Philip Head b 1869, Sunderland, Durham
          • John James Head b 1873
          • Catherine Head b 1876, Hampshire
          • Margaret Ann Head b 1879, Hampshire
          • Mary R Head b 1880, Hampshire
        • William Hade b 1845 Mar Anatasia Fanning, Kilkenny 1860
        • Mary Heade b 1851
        • Bridget Heade b 1853
        • Philip Heade b 1856. Single in 1901
      • Thomas b 1829 B 1881
      • Pierce b 1830. Mar Elizabeth
      • James (b circa 1830) mar Mary Hackett Gortnahoe parish, 1858
        • Thomas Heade b 1858, Whitegate. Mar Mary Hogan
        • Mary Heade b 1859, Whitegate
        • Margaret Heade b 1861, Whitegate
        • James Head b 1863, Whitegate
        • Philip Haide b 1866, Balleen. D Urlingford 1891
        • Michael Heade b 1868. A carpenter. Mar Julia Walsh. Julia emigrated with her sister in 1904 after Michael died in 1902. Her son stayed in Urlingford.
          • James Hayde b 1898, Johnstown. In 1901 was living with his uncle, James in Urlingford. He visited his mother in America in 1921
        • Catherine Heade b 1870, Whitegate
      • John (b circa 1840), from Balleen, Foyle mar Margaret Dalton (b 1843) 1861
        • Thomas Head b 1862, Whitegate
        • James Heade b 1864, Foyle
        • John Heade b 1866, Foyle (Balleen). Mar Ellen Doran 1898
          • William Hayde b 1899, Clomantagh
          • Margaret Hayde b 1901. D 1909
          • Mary Hayde b 1903. Emigrated to Canada 1930
          • John Hayde b 1905. D 1977. Lived in America
          • Thomas Hayde b 1907. Descendants are in Dublin and Urlingford
          • Michael Hayde b 1909. D 1928
          • James Hayde b 1910
          • Edward Hayde b 1912. Descendants in Urlingford and Dublin
        • Catherine Heade b 1871, Foyle 1901
        • Mary Heade b 1873 Foyle 1901

Thomas (b circa 1795) and Mary Bergan – Frankfort in 1849

  • Cath Heade b 1818, Whitegate. Mar Wiley
  • Alice Heade b 1820, Whitegate. Mar Martin Dunn 1853

Edward (b circa 1800) and Cath Farrell

  • James Heade b 1821, Parksgrove. Pos married Mary Hackett – see below
  • Elizabeth Heade b 1824, Parksgrove
  • Anne Head b 1825, Parksgrove
  • William Head b 1826, Parksgrove

Urlingford – Carranconnell, Craddockstown, Woodsgift and Tubbrid

The families in this area were:

James (b circa 1790) and Catherine Drisdale

  • Joanna Heade b 1808, Tubbrid
  • Thomas Heade b 1811, Woodsgift. Mar Mary Dowling 1844. Griffiths 1849. The family emigrated to America and settled in NewHaven, Connecticut

    • Cath Head b 1845, Graine d 1882 NewHaven
    • James Hade b 1847, Tubbrid Lower
    • Bridget Hade b 1851, Tubbrid. Mar James Lee
    • Mary Hade b 1859. Knocknamuck d 1872. NewHaven
    • Elizabeth Hade b 1861, Knocknamuck d 1873. NewHaven
    • Thomas Hade b 1864, Knocknamuck. Prob dies bef they left Ireland

Thomas and Mary arrived with Mary and Elizabeth in 1872.  Cath, Bridget and James were already there in 1870.

Edmond (b circa 1810) and Ellen Lahy – Carronconnell in 1820 and then Craddockstown 1849

  • Margaret Heade b 1831, Craddockstown
  • William Head b 1832, Craddockstown. Mar Mary Cass 1864 as Hayde. William and Mary emigrated to America with their children in 1880. They are described further in the Massachusetts Posts page.
    • Edward Head b 1865. Mar Anna Powers. Died Phil, USA 1935
      • Edmund Heade b 1865, Urlingford
      • Mary Heade b 1866, Urlingford
      • John Heade b 1870, Urlingford
      • James Heade b 1871, Urlingford. D 1872
      • Sarah Heade b 1873, Urlingford. D 1879
      • Catherine Heade b 1874, Urlingford
      • Patrick Heade b 1876, Urlingford. D 1935 NJ
      • Sarah Heade b 1879, Urlingford
      • Francis Joseph Heade b 1887, NJ
    • Mary Heade b 1866, Woodsgift
    • John Heade b 1870, Urlingford
    • James Heade b 1871, Woodsgift. D 1872
    • Sarah Heade b 1873, Woodsgift
    • Catherine Heade b 1874, Carranconnell
    • Patrick Heade b 1876, Darbyshill
    • Sarah Heade b 1879, Darbyshill
    • Francis J b 1888, New Jersey
  • James Head b 1834, Craddockstown
  • Kitty (Catherine) Heade b 1835, Craddockstown
  • Ellen Heade b 1838, Craddockstown

John (b circa 1820) and Margaret Kean – Urlingford 1849

  • Richard Hade b 1841, Urlingford
  • Catherine Head b 1843
  • Michael Heade b 1845, Urlingford

John and Edmund were probably also sons of James and Catherine.

A Jude Hade/Heade married a Denis O’Neil in Urlingford in 1846 (born circa 1826). Some family historians believe that she is another child of James and Catherine. They were in Canada in 1861 and settled in Quebec.

The detailed records from this area are at Urlingford Families